Which does not bother me in the slightest! I love making the kitchen smell like a bakery and I love feeding omnivores vegan foods!
This is a bit of a different recipe, but no less sweet and delicious.
About 6 or 7 months ago I purchased a book called "Decadent Gluten-Free Vegan Baking" (which is written by Cara Reed from Forkandbeans.com) and I absolutely adore it! The recipes can easily be modified for the individual and are certainly enjoyable! Most of the recipes consist of treats but there are a few savoury recipes.
The one I will feature here has been slightly modified to make the ingredients list easier to come by, especially here in Australia, where veganism is just starting to become a "big" thing.
I hope you enjoy this recipe, and if you did, I encourage you to purchase the book and visit her website!
- 2 cups of vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups of plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds, soaked in 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a saucepan, heat the vegetable oil over a low to medium heat. It will be ready when it is a thin liquid and only gently spits when cold water is flicked into it. If the oil is too hot, the churros will not cook properly.
- In the meantime, whisk the flour, powder, salt and nutmeg together in a bowl until thoroughly mixed.
- In a medium bowl, gently pour boiling water over the butter until it is melted, then add the brown sugar and the chia mixture.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until the mixture is thick and combined.
- Place the 1/2 cup of brown sugar for rolling and the cinnamon into a shallow bowl, ready to roll the churros.
- Place batter into a pastry bag with a large star tip or cut the corner of a ziplock baggie just under 2.5cm. Squeeze the batter into the oil, and once they are nicely browned (roughly 30 seconds) remove from the saucepan and roll them into the prepared rolling mixture.
*The book suggests you serve them with the authors chocolate sauce, but you can serve the churros with whatever you wish! Last step is to enjoy them!