150g dried broad beans, preferably peeled
220g dried chickpeas
1 large onion, chopped
8 garlic cloves, chopped
A small bunch of fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
Leaves from a bunch of fresh coriander, chopped
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon of chilli powder
2 teaspoons sea salt
Vegetable oil, for shallow frying
Flat breads to serve
- Soak the broad beans in cold water for 24 hours. Soak the chickpeas in cold water for at least 12 hours or overnight. If using unpeeled broad beans you will need to rub the skins off and discard them.
- Put the broad beans in a food processor and process until fine and crumbly. Transfer to a large bowl. Do the same with the chickpeas, putting them in the bowl with the broad beans.
- Put the onion, garlic, parsley and fresh coriander in a food processor and process until well combined. Add this mixture to the beans with the cumin, ground coriander, chilli powder and salt.
- Use a large spoon to combine the mixture. Set aside and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Put sufficient oil in a frying pan to come about 3 cm up the side and heat over low/medium heat. The oil is ready when the surface is shimmering and a pinch of the mixture sizzles on contact with the oil.
- Using two dessert spoons, form the mixture into oval patties. Drop directly into the hot oil and cook for 2-3 minutes, until golden and crispy. Transfer to plate lined with kitchen paper.
-Serve the felafel wrapped in flat breads.